Monday 27 June 2011

Springboks, Bunnies, Sharks, Owls, and Horses - South Africa's Big 5?

Those of you who know what South Africa's big five is (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, and rhino) probably think I'm a little crazy right now, but after this week's events I think I have reason to alter the list of big five. This week was another exciting work week at Mr. Price. I have finally gotten to a point in my project where I can actually visualize the end product. Tomorrow I will try and post a brief outline of what I have done so far and what I am going to do the rest of the time I am here in South Africa. For now, lets talk about this week's big 5!

Springboks
The springbok is a medium sized brown and white gazelle, but I'm not talking about this type of springbok. A lot of you might have heard about South Africa's National Rugby team, the Springbok's, who made sports history when they won the 1995 World Cup (There is a great film, Invictus, that highlights not only South Africa's victory in the World Cup, but also the end of an era of segregation that everyone should watch, however, whatever you do, don't tell anyone in SA that you enjoyed the movie because they get a little upset about the level of Rugby in the film!). This is still the wrong springbok. The Springbok I'm talking about is named after the rugby team, green, fits into a small glass, and is amazing! haha. My birthday was Wednesday so there was a small group of guys that went out for dinner and drinks and we finished the night off with a springbok shot. While we're talking about birthdays, there is a long list of friends, including my brother, that just had a birthday, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY everyone!


Bunnies
I haven't actually seen a bunny in South Africa yet, but I'm sure they have to have some type of bunny somewhere, right? The type of bunny I'm talking about is probably only famous in Durban, I for one had never seen or heard of it. After hearing a lot about this "bunny" a group of guys from work decided to take me out to lunch Friday to try one of Durban's most well known dishes. A Bunny Chow is a traditional meal in Durban that the Indian merchants started serving years ago as a takeaway dish that can be eaten on the road. To make a bunny chow you simply start with a loaf a bread, scoop out the middle, and then pour in the curry. The bread doubles as a box to carry the curry and a delicious utensil to eat the bunny, after all you HAVE TO use your hands. Below, is a picture of my bunny and two of the guys that went.




Sharks
In my last post I spoke about the Mr. Price Sharks, Durbans' Rugby team, making it to the playoffs. Well, this time I don't have any good news to tell you about their first, and only, playoff game. They traveled to New Zealand to play the Crusaders Saturday morning and got beat up pretty bad. The Crusaders are one of the best teams in the world so they shouldn't have too much to be upset about. I am a little upset that their season has come to an end because I was really starting to get behind them.

Owls
Even I was surprised to see these "owls" in South Africa. I am on the other side of the world and there is a Hooters just blocks away from my apartment. Of course I went, I had to! Guys, just so you know it may look a little worn down on the outside, but it's just like your American wonder inside! haha. However, I was a little disappointed in the wings and ranch. The wings were even smaller than the wings you would get in the US and the ranch was nothing like the good fattening ranch that I have become acquainted to.





Horses
Horse racing seems to be a pretty big deal in South Africa. This weekend there is a big race, The Durban July, that I will unfortunately miss because I am leaving for Cape Town on Thursday. But, that's not the same type of horse that I am talking about. I am talking about raw horse power. I have seen more Lamborghinis and Ferraris in the last 2 weeks than I have seen in my entire life. We were out walking one night when we passed this red beauty below. Jason wanted a picture with it so I stepped out into the street to take a picture and almost got hit by another Ferrari. After taking the picture we walked 50 yards and saw a Lamborghini. Durbanites love their Horse Power! Unfortunately, not everyone in the city can afford a car like this. :(


So, you might not think these 5 classify as South Africa's BIG 5, but they all made for a very interesting and exciting week. This week will be pretty short as Jason and I are heading to Cape Town on Thursday to do a little work and a lot of sightseeing. I will be sure to take the camera and fill you in on what happens. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment